The Preconstruction Project Manager’s primary responsibility is to manage risk for the company during the preconstruction phase by providing oversight and leadership to preconstruction teams. They are typically involved in multiple projects, but may be assigned to a single large project when merited. In addition to having responsibility for the technical success and execution of the projects they work on, they are also responsible for managing the relationships with the other team members.
Preconstruction Project Managers are ultimately responsible for the quality and timeliness of all estimating deliverables for assigned projects. Day to day efforts are focused on management of teams, but individuals will occasionally be asked to develop work product when appropriate or when necessary to manage the flow of work in the department.
1. As assigned, performs both basic and advanced estimating tasks as necessary to manage the flow of work in the department. Participates in the development of and oversees the execution of the elements of a project scope management plan including the work needed to complete the project successfully. Has a thorough understanding of the development of, and oversees the execution of the procurement plan including the contract management and change control processes required to develop and administer subcontracts or purchase orders.
2. Take ownership of assigned projects and ensure accountability of team members (including themselves) by planning, acquiring and reviewing the project team to ensure relentless execution of the project.
3. Provides oversight for, and active participation in the development of key deliverables, to include preconstruction labor estimates, Cost Models, Order of Magnitude estimates, contribution to RFP’s, contractual preconstruction deliverables on alternative delivery method projects, GMP proposals, bids, budget uploads, purchasing plans, subcontracts, purchase orders, General Conditions and project logistics. Has a detailed understanding and collaboration with team around the components of the project management plan (PMP) to ensure successful project execution including a detailed understanding of the change management process.
4. Provide thorough and detailed review of all estimates on assigned projects to ensure numbers align with historical costs and market conditions.
5. Demonstrates business acumen and expertise in understanding budgeting and cost controls processes and systems so projects are procured and managed consistently and profitably
6. Works with Project Manager, Project Director, Regional Director, or Operations Manager to develop staffing plans for assigned projects
7. Ensures timeliness, professionalism, consistency and branding of all deliverables on assigned projects.
8. Manages expectations of clients and internal partners regarding work flow. Has a detailed knowledge of the time management plan process to ensure all processes required to manage the timely completion of a project are appropriately applied.
9. Uses Critical Path Method scheduling techniques to proactively guide the design phase of Alternative Delivery Method projects, and to actively manage the design phase on design- build projects.
10. Ensures compliance with owner contracts. Has a thorough understanding of the project quality management plan, project communication plan, safety plan and environmental plan.
11. Demonstrates proficiency with risk management planning including identification, analysis, response planning, and monitoring and control on a project and facilitates the review of projects risks with senior management.
12. May serve as the Design Manager during pursuits and during design phase on Alternative Delivery Method projects.
13. On negotiated projects, establishes “Conditions of Success” during preconstruction phase.
Minimum Job Requirements:
1. Four-year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience.
2. Ten or more years of experience in an estimating role.
3. Successful history executing projects as the prime point of contact with minimal oversight for project teams:
a. Preconstruction Project Manager I: projects valued to $50M
b. Preconstruction Project Manager II: projects valued in excess of $50M
4. Ideal candidates will have project experience in one or more key market sectors identified by the business unit.
5. Proficient use of all Microsoft Office Suite programs.
6. Proficient in the use of P6 and demonstrates skill in Critical Path Scheduling
7. Proficient in the use of an Enterprise Project Management Systems.
8. Proficient in the use of commonly used industry estimating software programs.
Note: Job Description is subject to change at any time and may include other duties as assigned.
1. Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift/work day.
2. Occasionally will climb stairs, ladders, etc.
3. Will lift, push or pull objects on an occasional basis
4. Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
5. Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
6. May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
7. May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
8. Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, hardhat, vest, etc.)
9. Will interact with people frequently during a shift/work day
10. May use telephone, computer system, email, or other electronic devices on a limited basis to communicate with internal and external customers or vendors
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: Sundt Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, age, disability, national origin, covered veteran status, or genetic information. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.